BCE Community User Guidelines – Social Media
We welcome your participation in our Burlingame Community for Education (BCE) social media sites where members of our community can work together to raise money to support our local schools. We want all of our community members to have the best possible experience; and your respectful and cooperative interactions will help us achieve that goal. Thank you for using your best judgment as you participate, for following our guidelines, and for reporting abuse and other inappropriate content if it is posted.
The BCE social media sites, such as our Facebook page and Twitter handles @BCEGameOn will be supervised by volunteer moderators that will review content, help members get the information they need, and address issues that members bring to their attention. These moderators may delete or edit content that is inappropriate, misleading, or doesn’t follow our guidelines.
While common sense is typically the best guide, we have established the following guidelines to set general expectations:
What to Do:
- Enjoy our community. Ask questions, share your thoughts or meaningful moments in your day that connect to the BCE mission of educating our children, in a respectful manner.
- Play nicely in the sandbox. We want everyone to feel valued and receive helpful feedback. The community benefits from different points of view so please be polite and respectful even when you disagree.
- Only upload and post content that is appropriate and belongs to you. If you upload images, only use images that you have created or have permission to use. Posting content that doesn’t belong to you puts you at risk of liability, and we will moderate your content to protect you and the community.
- Post Photos of Your OWN Children: When posting pictures with children, we recommend posting pictures featuring your own children. If other children are in your photo, please ask permission from their parent. Finally, we recommend not tagging photos with children in them, as it is safer to keep their identities anonymous in social media.
- Be yourself. Don’t impersonate others, and please show us your personality. We just ask you to consider the rest of the community when you write posts or upload images. If you don’t, we may moderate your content.
What to Avoid:
- Being inappropriate. Don’t post inappropriate content or make inappropriate statements. Harassing, abusing, or intimidating others simply isn’t permitted. Think about what you want out there before you post, and filter your content responsibly. If you don’t, we may moderate your content.
- Providing commercial content or spam. Comments focused purely on selling a product or service, or comments posted for the purpose of driving traffic to a particular website for personal, political, or monetary gain, will be excluded.
- Making political endorsements. Our non-profit status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code prohibits us from endorsing political candidates. Please do not post any content that could be construed as a political endorsement on our social media sites.
- Making personal attacks. If you disagree with something, we’d like to hear from you, but always refrain from personal attacks and being disrespectful of others. Malicious intent, and any participation that is not in the spirit of civil conversation, will be deleted.
- Posting illegal content. Laws that govern use of copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, etc., will be followed. Please do not post images or other content that doesn’t belong to you.
- Using offensive language. Comments including, but not limited to, profane or provocative language will be excluded. Any hateful, racially or ethnically offensive or derogatory content, threats, and obscene or sexually explicit language will not be tolerated.